As announced last week, Adobe today has released new versions of its Reader and Acrobat products for the Windows and Mac OS X platforms. The new versions address 13 identified security vulnerabilities, and are rated by Adobe as Critical updates. The new versions also include updates to the embedded Flash capability corresponding to the Flash Player updates issued in May and June. Affected versions of the software are:
- Adobe Reader X (10.0.1) and earlier 10.x versions for Windows
- Adobe Reader X (10.0.3) and earlier 10.x versions for Macintosh
- Adobe Reader 9.4.4 and earlier 9.x versions for Windows and Macintosh
- Adobe Reader 8.2.6 and earlier 8.x versions for Windows and Macintosh
- Adobe Acrobat X (10.0.3) and earlier 10.x versions for Windows and Macintosh
- Adobe Acrobat 9.4.4 and earlier 9.x versions for Windows and Macintosh
- Adobe Acrobat 8.2.6 and earlier 8.x versions for Windows and Macintosh
The Reader version for Linux/UNIX is apparently not affected.
The new versions are Reader X 10.1, Reader 9.4.5, Acrobat X 10.1, and Acrobat 9.4.5. Further details, including CVE identifiers, are in the Security Bulletin [APSB11-16].
You can get the new version using the built-in update mechanism (Help / Check for Updates) in either Reader or Acrobat. Alternatively, you can get the new Reader versions directly for Windows or Mac OS X. For Acrobat download links, see the Security Bulletin.
Because of the security content of these updates, I recommend that you install the new versions as soon as you conveniently can.